skip to Main Content





If you are thinking about getting a divorce or have already begun proceedings, you will need a competent Lakewood family lawyer to represent you. At the office of Kevin G. Byrd, we are highly experienced in the field of family law and can guide you effectively. Contact us today to get more answers.

What Are the Requirements to Divorce in Washington?

To qualify for divorce in Washington state, you or your spouse must be a resident of the state or a member of the armed forces stationed in Washington.

How Long Does a Divorce Take in Washington?

This will depend on the complexity of your divorce and whether you are disputing issues with your spouse. The more you dispute issues such as custody, spousal support or property division, the longer your divorce may take.

The minimum waiting period for a Washington divorce is 90 days from the date your papers are filed and served.

Is Alimony Required in Every Divorce?

Alimony or spousal maintenance is awarded based on the unique factors of your marriage, such as income differences, earning ability of each spouse, and the duration of the marriage. Usually, longer marriages are more likely to be awarded spousal maintenance than a short marriage. Judges will evaluate each case’s specific circumstances.

Can I Withhold Visitation If the Other Parent Does Not Pay Child Support?

No. Child support and visitation are two separate issues. If you deny the other parent their visitation rights, you could be penalized for violating your visitation order. If the other parent is not paying child support, you can talk to an attorney about how to seek enforcement of your child support order. Under no circumstances should you block visitation, except in very extreme cases where you believe the child’s well-being is at risk.

Are There Complications Involved in a Military Divorce?

Yes, there are often additional factors involved in a divorce where one or more members of the military are divorcing. This may include complex matters of relocation or jurisdiction.

How Is Child Support Calculated?

Child support is calculated on a case by case basis and the court may take a number of different factors into account. It is generally based on a percentage of your income.

Do I Really Need a Lawyer for a Legal Separation?

Absolutely, having a Lakewood divorce attorney on your side is important for any divorce, separation, or matter or family law. This is especially true if you and your spouse share children or have significant assets.

What Happens if my Spouse or I Want to Relocate?

If you or your spouse want to move away, you will need to consult with an attorney who can assist you to navigate a relocation agreement, and address custody issues and other matters.

What Do I Do if I Need a Modification?

If something major has changed in your life and you are no longer able to abide by the terms listed in your divorce order, you will need to hire a lawyer to assist you with the legal matter of obtaining a modification.


Cases Handled By Our Family Law Attorney

At our firm, Lakewood family law attorney Kevin G. Byrd focuses mainly on family law matters that surround divorce. He is a skilled and understanding advocate to his clients who are going through divorces, and can fight tirelessly on their behalf. Because divorce is hardly ever a straightforward process, Kevin G. Byrd can also assist with a wide range of matters involving your family.

  • Divorce
  • Collaborative Divorce
  • Military Divorce
  • Child Support
  • Parenting Plans
  • Legal Separation
  • Child Custody
  • Relocation Cases
  • Modifications
  • Property Division

In addition, if you believe that a family law matter you were involved with was decided unfairly, our attorney can represent you throughout the modification process. Whatever your situation, Kevin G. Byrd is here to help.

Start with a Free Case Evaluation

Lakewood family law attorney, Kevin G. Byrd, understands that you may have a great deal of questions or you might not be sure how to proceed with your case. This is why he offers free case evaluations. During your appointment, he can clear up all confusion and uncertainty, helping you decide on the course of action that fits your situation best.



Are you considering divorce? If so, we strongly suggest you retain the representation of our Lakewood divorce firm.



It is critical that you understand the way that courtrooms and professionals approach these matters.



When you and your spouse get divorced, you typically have to meet to go over all of the most important issues and come to a mutual agreement.



Are you struggling under mountains of debt? Does it feel like there is no way out? Kevin G. Byrd has a solution that can change your life.

Back To Top